Trans+ Youth at the Florida
Trans+ Youth at the Florida Capitol Day was a gathering of transgender, non-binary, intersex and gender non-conforming youth and their parents, guardians and/or chaperones from across Florida with the purpose of elevating transgender youth in civic leadership and engagement with policy decisions and policymakers that impact their safety, health, well-being and success. A first of its kind in Florida, this event made citizen advocacy accessible to trans+ youth to help them tell their stories directly to the legislators that make decisions about their lives and welfare, and allowed them to associate with other transgender youth interested in leadership and civic engagement across the state.
Look at what the youth did!!!
1) Youth and Parent/Guardian met with allied Florida Legislators
2) Attended Civic Leadership Training: including 1) how to tell your story, 2) local leadership opportunities, 4) power building, and 5)how a bill becomes a law in Florida
3) Held their own Press Conference and Luncheon with Host Legislators House Representative Kristen Arrington and Florida Senator Gary Farmer
4) Attended Trans+ Youth Break Outs including Consciousness Raising and "Story of Self" Training and had their parents/allies/guardians attend a Advocacy and Support Training made specially for them!
5) Decorated and hosted trans+ a focused social event including a rally against HB 7 the anti-trans "Destruction of Education" Act (Governor DeSantis' so-called anti-W.O.K.E Act).